Since 1952, Forrest General Hospital, located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, has been a leader in medical excellence in south Mississippi. The hospital has grown from the original 90‐bed facility into a 547‐bed, Level II Regional Trauma Center and hospital system. In addition to the hospital’s general medical/surgical facility, the hospital also includes Pine Grove Behavioral Health and Addiction Services, The Orthopedic Institute, Asbury Hospice House, Forrest General’s Cancer Center, Family Birthplace, Rehabilitation Center, Stroke Center, Women’s Surgery Center and Wound Healing Center. Featured specialty services areas include behavioral health and addiction services, cancer services, emergency and trauma services, heart and vascular services, orthopedics and neurosurgery services, surgery, and women and children’s services.
In 2012, Forrest General strengthened the foundation for the future of healthcare in the region by forming the Forrest Health system to increase access to quality healthcare and improve the services and stability of local community hospitals.
In addition to Forrest General Hospital, Forrest Health hospitals include: Highland Community Hospital, Picayune; Jefferson Davis Community Hospital & Extended Care Facility, Prentiss; Marion General Hospital, Columbia; Pearl River County Hospital & Nursing Home, Poplarville; and Walthall General Hospital, Tylertown.
Forrest General also provides all levels of care for critical access care hospitals in the 19-county service area, including Covington County Hospital, Greene County Hospital, Hancock Medical Center, Jefferson Davis Community Hospital, Pearl River County Hospital, Perry County General Hospital, Stone County Hospital, Inc., and Walthall General Hospital.
Responsible for the day-to-day functions of HIM operations. Manages staff engaged in maintenance of the electronic medical record; transcription; physician chart completion; release of information; Identity; and information storage, retrieval and retention. Assists with special projects and data gathering. Responsible for Medical Record Committee proceedings, Continuous Quality Improvement including statistical data. Responsible for managing and securing the medical record and making sure the records are accurate and complete. Works closely with Corporate Compliance and Privacy to ensure adherence to HIM compliance plan and RAC Audit requirements. Provides support and development opportunities for Health Information Management operations personnel.
- Manage the daily operational functions of Health information Management Services, assuring customer expectations, performance standards, strategic objectives, and compliance standards are being met.
- Supervise staff to include hiring, orientation, monitoring performance, counseling, discipline, staff development, work assignment, etc.
- Continuously improve processes to assure they are efficient and effective, and meet departmental and organizational expectations.
- Demonstrate a leadership style that results in productive, engaged employees and improved relationships with customers (including physicians.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills to appropriately communicate and interact with all levels of staff and customers.
Bachelor or Associate degree in Health Information Management is required. Must be highly proficient in knowledge of computers and applications applicable to health information management hospital functions. Microsoft Office skills required. Effective communication skills and the ability to build productive working relationships is a must.
A minimum of 2 years of experience as a manager or supervisor in Health Information Management in an acute care facility is required. Must have working knowledge of medical record systems and experience with an electronic medical record. Knowledge of regulatory guidelines is essential.
RHIA or RHIT certification is preferred.
Exceptional oral and written skills are required to relate effectively to Hospital and medical staff. The individual must have the ability to type and be familiar with the rules of spelling, grammar, and punctuation. The individual must have the ability to use a personal computer, copier, telephone, and calculator. Knowledge of DNV standards and other regulatory systems is essential. Working knowledge of correct ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 coding procedures and medical terminology is necessary. The individual must have a high energy level and be capable of handling pressure situations both mentally and physically.
- Benefits for Full-time Employees:
- Medical & Prescription Programs
- Dental & Vision
- Family Medical Residency Clinic & Outpatient Pharmacy
- Employee Assistance Program
- Long-Term & Short-Term Disability
- Employer Paid Life Insurance
- 403B Retirement Plan
- Student Loan Benefit Solutions
- Paid Time Off and Paid Sick Time
Instructions for Resume Submission: