We are excited to provide an update to you regarding HB 628, a bill supported by the Mississippi Health Information Management Association (MSHIMA) and the Mississippi Hospital Association (MHA) for insurance reform.
This bill successfully passed the State House several weeks ago, and it has now passed out of the Senate Insurance Committee, with a few changes. We ask that you contact your State Senator to support this bill during the upcoming floor vote!
Click here to view information for your local Senator.
As a refresher, this bill revises mandatory policy provisions to penalize late payments of claims from Mississippi insurers. It features the following provisions:
- If health insurance claims are not paid on time, there will be a late fee given to insured
- A written notice of claim must be given to the health maintenance company or insurance company within 30 days after an occurrence of any loss covered by the insurance policy
- Upon receiving the claim, the insurer will provide the person that made a claim with the correct paperwork for proof of loss
- Written proof of loss must be provided to the health maintenance company of insurance company within 90 days of the termination period for any policy with periodic payment subject to change upon the loss.
- Benefits due under the claims are overdue if not paid within 25 or 35 days, whichever applicable, after the insurer receives the clean claim containing necessary medical information.
- If claim is not denied, the insurer must pay provider or insured the greater of either:
- Interest on accrued benefits at 1.5% per month beginning the day after payment was due until settled
- Total claim amount by total number of days late by 1% each day until claim is settled
It is now time to act! We would like for you and/or your organization to contact your local Senator so they can hear the importance of being accurately and promptly paid, the cash flow crunch that late or denied payments cause, the need to level the playing field for providers, and other reasons why this bill is important.
Please e-mail Ryan Kelly at email@example.com to inform us if you have been able to reach your legislator in support of the bill. We are making calls to these individuals on your behalf, but a personal phone call from you can make all the difference!
Thank you for your support, and please let us know if you have any questions.